Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Parents in Petersburg



 This past week I was fortunate enough to have my parents come visit me for the week. It was only about a month and a half into the program (out of 4.5 months) but the scheduling worked out well with my parents and who in their right mind actually wants to come to Russia in the winter? I was greeted with open arms and lots of American food, both equally appreciated. I was immediately caught off guard by how much their arrival affected my emotions. I had been getting into a rhythm here in Petersburg with classes and my home life, but seeing them threw me off my track and reminded me of all the things I miss in America. Fortunately we were so busy touring the city that I was soon able to forget about these pangs of homesickness. Not only did they see the “sites,” but I also introduced them to the things or more importantly the people that have made St. Petersburg feel like home to me. They had tea with the woman I teach English to, Yulia, dinner with my host mother, Olga, and dinner with two of my close girlfriends that I met through the program, Stephanie and Kristin. All of these interactions are just as, if not more, important than seeing the Hermitage, St. Isaac’s Cathedral, and Peterhof (although all quite impressive).


My parents couldn’t have gotten better weather when they were here, however I do recall my mother complaining about the cold once or twice. We were lucky though, it didn’t rain once and most of the days were sunny. It was also prime foliage time, making what is sometimes a very gray city into a colorful vibrant place. What my parents don’t know is that the two days after they left the temperature dropped about 15 degrees, rain showers brought down almost all of the leaves, and we even spotted some snowflakes.

During their time in Petersburg we spent most of our days walking around the city, enjoying the unusual sun, and eating delicious dinners out. However, my parents did experience the inevitable culture shock and by the end of their stay were ready to go home to the comforts of America. I was a bit jealous at first to be honest. Not only do I still have three months left, but it's only going to get colder and colder. But this week has been an "up" on the rollercoaster ride that is Russia, so bring on the winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment